Friday, November 30, 2012

Mr. Krueger's Christmas

Last night, we had some down time and decided to watch a Christmas movie together as a family. We don't own very many (which is why I got on Amazon.com and bought six different Christmas themed movies the other day), but there is one that I always make sure to watch.


Mr. Krueger's Christmas. 

It's an older movie, made back in 1980, so we popped it into the VHS player (amazing we still have one of those) and started watching. I love this movie. Not only because Jimmy Stewart is the leading role and because he is the cutest old man and reminds me of my sweet grandfather, but because of the message it teaches and the tears of the true Christmas spirit it brings to your eyes. Mr. Krueger's Christmas is about Willy Krueger, a kind and lonely widower living alone in a basement apartment he is custodian to. The story follows what happens to him one Christmas Eve as he goes to purchase a tree and nearly spends the holiday alone. Although he makes a few attempts to be with someone, his desires are sadly overlooked and no one seems to notice the company this old man needs. No one except a sweet little girl, Clarissa, who is out caroling with her family. Through the events of the night, Mr. Krueger finds the true reason to celebrate the season and prayerfully thanks the infant Jesus for being his closest friend through his struggles.

This movie is fun and has some very enjoyable and touching scenes. There are a few instances where the audience gets a look into Mr. Krueger's imagination, which are happy and lovely and of course, my favorite parts. From images of directing the Mormon Tabernacle Choir to being a well-known man purchasing a new suit in a department store, there is one scene from Mr. Krueger's mind that stands out the greatest. While he is rearranging his nativity Mr. Krueger imagines himself there in the stable at the baby Jesus' side.  It is at this part that one of the greatest, most touching, and most meaningful monologues ever is given. It is clear that Jimmy Stewart doesn't just simply act out this part, but the  message of gratitude, faith, and love were truly from his heart and soul. "I love you," says Mr. Krueger to the Savior. "You are my closest and finest friend. And that means I can hold my head high, wherever I go."

The message that is given in this film is beautiful and one to remember even throughout the year. It is summed up in one, conclusive line. "I love you. That's what Christmas is all about. Clarissa said it to Mr. Krueger. Mr. Krueger said it to Jesus. And Jesus, in so many ways, has said it to all of us."

  • Age Appropriateness: All ages. Of course, it probably wouldn't hold a small infant or toddler's attention for long, but even young children would enjoy this movie. Plus it's only about 15 or 20 mins, so it isn't long either.
  • Content Rating: G. Super G. There is absolutely nothing objectionable about this movie. :)
  • Overall Rating: 5/5 stars. I've already stated my reasons above, but I simply just adore this movie. Unfortunately, I don't believe it is a very well-known film, so I'm not sure how accessible it would be to get a copy. However, if you can't find it to rent anywhere (which I highly doubt it is), it may very likely be available to watch on YouTube at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG2xdsKNXy8 (In fact I think it is very likely and very available. But you didn't get this from me. ;) )
Now go watch this wonderful movie! Merry Christmas! :)


Movie Poster from http://www.listal.com/viewimage/1584223
 

No comments:

Post a Comment